May 8, 2011

Thinning Your Paint

If you don't, then you should.  In fact, no other tip is more important to improving your results.  Here is an article that perfectly explains everything you need to know about the subject.

As I'm trying to improve my painting skills I've recently started experimenting with how I thin my paint.  In the past I've been using combinations of Vallejo paint retarder and thinner.  The retarder greatly increased my working time which was great when working on a batch of models.  The thinner, which I think is some sort of matte medium, was great for thinning the paint, but didn't really improve the flow.  So I decided to try different products.  My first experiment is with additives from Golden.  My first test is a mix of 25% retarder, 25% flow release and 50% water.  Mixed in a small dropper bottle I added one drop of the mix for every drop of paint for base coating my new TKs.  I tried it with both GW and Vallejo paints.  So far I'm really liking the results, though it has underscored that I need more brush control. 


As a quick update, the new TKs have the first wave of paint on them!

No comments:

Post a Comment