Jan 10, 2011

Raising the Undead...

I started to put together the Mantic Undead over the weekend.  I've got about half the plastics models put together so far.  I've assembled 1 Bale Fire Thrower, 20 Ghouls, 30 Zombies, 30 Revenants and 40 Skeletons.



Putting them together was pretty straight forward, though it would have been a little easier with some assembly instructions (especially for the Bale Fire Thrower).  One thing that really surprised me was that that there was some of the lack of variety and lot's of duplication of the same components multiple times on each sprue and between similar kits.  For example the ghoul sprue has 2 bodies and for the zombie sprue there are 3.  I didn't try it yet but the zombie and ghouls sprues are interchangeable to increase the variety. There are 10 leg assemblies per skeleton sprue, but there may only be 4 unique poses.  Both the skeleton and revenant (skellies in heavy armor) use the exact same leg assemblies and command options.   This probably reduces the cost of designing the models (less sculpting).  Fortunately I did not find it too limiting in terms of making models unique. While putting the zombies and ghouls together I had to pay close attention to how the models would rank up, especially for any models in a crouch or lurching forward pose.   I love some of the cool touches like zombies breaking out of the ground and snapped off spinal cords.  I was a little disappointed that the skeletons could not completely be equipped with spears since some of the torsos were molded with arm wielding hand weapons.  Though if you got enough models you could segregate them out and make a spear toting unit.  The Revenants are AMAZING.  There armor and helmets are really cool.  Plus their poses really make for a dynamic looking unit.  Just wish they had great weapons.

Looking forward to putting the rest of the plastics together this weekend.  I will let you know how it turns out.  BTW - if anyone wants to swap Undead for Dwarfs in the starter sets  let me know (I have two starter boxes).  Also, if anyone wants to swap some of my extra zombies for their extra ghouls let me know.  I have 30 extra zombies.

No comments:

Post a Comment